The Sound Image Blog

The Sound Image Blog

Client feedback for Sound Image

Client feedback for Sound Image

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Looking Back : The Early Years - Part 3


   Yours truly as a 19 year old solo guitarist.  

The High School Years

Developing a solo acoustic guitar performing ability as a teenager was an enjoyable process which  included initial lessons from my father. I have pleasant memories of developing jazz improvisational skills while performing as a duo with dad who encouraged subsequent concert performances. 

Musical highlights included an invitation to perform as a 15 year old solo guitarist in front of a capacity crowd at the Cape Town City Hall (The result of a Gold Diploma for a Cape Town Eisteddford performance).

On stage (age 17) during a Pinelands High School concert rehearsal with my Engish teacher / saxophonist, Basil Follet. The concert provided an early opportunity to perform on electric bass guitar as part of a four piece band which included my dad (electric guitar) and another musically talented class mate, Paul Bower (drums).

The South African Navy

After matriculating, I served in the South African Navy (Radio Communications) for a period of two years.


The Musical Apprentice 

On completion of my Naval service, I was introduced to Cape Town's finest music teachers, professional musicians and band leaders - the beginnning of an enjoyable and sensational musical journey!

Performing at home as a guitar duo with my father.

No comments: